About my work...



Artist Statement:


I got into sculpture because I like working with metal. I like the stability and durability of the material.   My father has always been a source for inspiration. He is a crane operator and would share stories about the oil rigs he “breaks down”. I guess that is why I am not intimidated by large steel structures. He also taught me to weld at the age of eleven.

I also had the opportunity to join a team of artists, lead by Richard Hyslin, to build a 54 ft statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe. It took us two summers to complete. Being part of a team to build a sculpture that size really inspired me. At nineteen, this experience made it clear to me that making large scale sculpture was what I was meant to do.

            There are aspects of spirituality, social commentary and just plain fun in my work.  Some of my pieces have reoccurring themes of the sun, nature, and spirituality.  I abstract nature and the human body to convey statements of the human condition.  I enjoy creating towering beings that deal with unity, love, reverence, and perseverance as well as vanity and disregard.

My favorite thing is going to scrap metal yards and finding unusual steel forms. Fabricated geometric shapes mixed with weathered or textured components create a harmony and a balance that I find very rewarding.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts